Where is the Garden State Parkway Interchange 145 Project located?
The Project limits are located between GSP Milepost 144 and 152. The main component of the project is in East Orange, New Jersey. Other sections of the work include either bridges over or under the GSP and are located in Irvington, Newark, Bloomfield and Nutley.
Why is the Garden State Parkway Interchange 145 Project needed?
The Project will improve the safety and operations of the interchange. The high volumes of traffic utilizing the interchange, along with narrow lane widths, poor sight distance and substandard acceleration lane lengths and narrow deceleration lanes, has led to poor levels of service and high accident rates in this section on the GSP.
How will the Garden State Parkway Interchange 145 Project reduce traffic congestion?
Congestion will be reduced by widening Ramp SBE (Interchange 145 Toll Plaza to GSP Southbound mainline) to provide a two-lane entrance ramp. The existing Ramp SBE narrows from five lanes at the Interchange 145 Toll Plaza to a single lane entrance ramp. Providing a two-lane entrance ramp will improve the operations of the ramp merging onto the GSP Southbound mainline. The GSP Northbound will be widened to re-establish the two-lane deceleration lane to Ramp NBX (GSP Northbound mainline to Interchange 145 Toll Plaza).
What will the Garden State Parkway Interchange 145 Project improvements include?
Project improvements will:
- Provide a two-lane entrance ramp from the Interchange 145 Toll Plaza to GSP Southbound
- Widen GSP Northbound to re‐establish a two-lane deceleration lane to the Interchange 145 Toll Plaza
- Removal of Interchange 145 Northbound exiting Toll Plaza
- Replace the Central Avenue Bridge to accommodate additional auxiliary lanes on the GSP
- Reconstruct the pavement along Oraton Parkway Northbound and Southbound from Central Avenue to Park Street.
- Replace five traffic signals located at the following intersections: Oraton Parkway NB with Freeway Drive; Oraton Parkway SB with Freeway Drive; Oraton Parkway NB with Williams Street; Oraton Parkway SB with Williams Street; and Oraton Parkway NB with New Street.
- Upgrade idewalks within project limits to meet the requirements of the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA).
- Structural repairs and other improvements to GSP Bridges at Clinton and Springfield Avenues, at 14th Avenue and at South Orange Avenue.
- Bridge deck replacement on GSP Bridges at Montgomery Street and at East Passiac Ave.
When will construction for the Garden State Parkway Interchange 145 Project take place?
Project construction is scheduled begin in June 2018 and conclude in 2022.
Who is providing funding for the Garden State Parkway Interchange 145 Project?
Funds for the project are provided by the New Jersey Turnpike Authority.
What if I have a question, comment or concern regarding the Garden State Parkway Interchange 145 Project?
Questions or comments can be submitted through the form on www.GSPexit145.com or via the project hotline at 1-800-374-5137.