- Replace the Central Avenue Bridge to accommodate additional auxiliary lanes on the GSP
- Utility upgrades
- Bridge construction work to be performed in three (3) stages following utility relocations
- Temporary traffic shifts will be utilized to facilitate the work
- Short duration temporary detours will be needed during utility relocation work
- Significant utility relocation work including drainage, water mains, gas mains and electrical facilities will be performed
- Utility relocation work to begin on or about November 2018
October 18, 2019
- A work zone has been created on the south side of Central Avenue Bridge over the GSP. Two Central Avenue travel lanes will be maintained westbound and one travel lane will be maintained eastbound over the bridge. Eastbound and westbound left turns at Oraton Parkway and Whittlesey Avenue are temporarily prohibited during construction. Please refer to the graphic below and CLICK HERE to see full-sized, animated graphics of the detours on the project website.
- During the week of 10/20/19 through 10/28/19, deep foundation work will continue at the Central Avenue Bridge.
- During the weeks of 10/20/19 through 11/04/19, electrical utility work will be performed on Central Avenue between Watson Avenue and Hawthorn Place. Daytime and nighttime work shifts are expected. Work will be supported by East Orange Police.