- Replace the Central Avenue Bridge to accommodate additional auxiliary lanes on the GSP
- Utility upgrades
- Bridge construction work to be performed in three (3) stages following utility relocations
- Temporary traffic shifts will be utilized to facilitate the work
- Short duration temporary detours will be needed during utility relocation work
- Significant utility relocation work including drainage, water mains, gas mains and electrical facilities will be performed
- Utility relocation work to begin on or about November 2018
March 12, 2021
- A new traffic pattern has been implemented on Central Avenue between Watson Avenue and Hawthorne Place. All travel lanes and turn lanes have been re-opened over the bridge. Eastbound and westbound left turns at Oraton Parkway and Whittlesey Avenue are restored. Please refer to the graphic below for details.
- During the week of 03/29/21, roadway curb and sidewalk construction will be performed along eastbound Central Avenue between Watson Avenue and Hawthorne Place. Work will be supported by East Orange Police as necessary.