The New Jersey Turnpike Authority has awarded a construction project which will provide safety and capacity improvements to the Garden State Parkway’s Interchange 145 exit and entrance ramps, and toll plaza. Those improvements will enhance the safety and flow of traffic through the interchange. The project also includes significant local infrastructure improvements that include the replacement of the Central Avenue Overpass at the Garden State Parkway and reconstruction of local roadway on Oraton Parkway from Central Avenue to Park Avenue.
The project will also improve the safety and structural condition of five bridges that either span over the Parkway or span over local streets. Those improvements will include the rehabilitation of the bridge decks, safety parapets and median barrier.
This project is funded by the New Jersey Turnpike Authority’s toll dollars and the Authority is committed to an extensive community outreach effort to keep the local communities fully informed of the project status and to minimize disruptions from construction operations.
The three main areas of work include:
- GSP ROADWAY AND INTERCHANGE 145 TOLL PLAZA
- REPLACEMENT OF CENTRAL AVENUE OVERPASS
- ORATON PARKWAY IMPROVEMENTS
In addition to the above work, the project also includes repair/rehabilitation of the following five bridges; Structure Nos. 144.7, 146.0, 146.1, 149.7 and 151.6. Please click on an item in the list below to learn more about the work being done in that area.
- STRUCTURE NO. 144.7: GSP UNDER CLINTON AND SPRINGFIELD AVENUES
- STRUCTURE NO. 146.0: GSP OVER 14TH AVENUE
- STRUCTURE NO. 146.1: GSP OVER SOUTH ORANGE AVENUE
- STRUCTURE NO. 149.7: GSP UNDER MONTGOMERY STREET
- STRUCTURE NO. 151.6: GSP UNDER EAST PASSAIC AVENUE (CR 562)
The project improvements will:
- Provide a two-lane entrance ramp from the Interchange 145 Toll Plaza to GSP Southbound
- Widen GSP Northbound to re‐establish a two-lane deceleration lane to the Interchange 145 Toll Plaza
- Removal of Interchange 145 Northbound exiting Toll Plaza
- Replace the Central Avenue Bridge to accommodate additional auxiliary lanes on the GSP
- Minimize construction impacts on both the GSP and the local roadway network
- Complete all work on the GSP within the existing right‐of‐way
- Reconstruct the pavement along Oraton Parkway Northbound and Southbound from Central Avenue to Park Street
- Replace five traffic signals located at the following intersections: Oraton Parkway NB with Freeway Drive; Oraton Parkway SB with Freeway Drive; Oraton Parkway NB with Williams Street; Oraton Parkway SB with Williams Street; and Oraton Parkway NB with New Street.
- Upgrade sidewalks in project limits to meet the requirements of the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA)
- Structural repairs and other improvements to GSP Bridges at Clinton and Springfield Avenues, at 14th Avenue and at South Orange Avenue
- Bridge deck replacement on GSP Bridges at Montgomery Street and at East Passiac Avenue
- Planning Phase Began – 2014-2015
- Held Public Information Center & Public Hearing – March 2015
- NJTA Advertisement for Proposals – January 2018
- Contract Awarded – May 2018
- Begin Construction – June 2018
- Hold Public Information Center – (TBD)
- Finish Construction – August 2022