- Replace the Central Avenue Bridge to accommodate additional auxiliary lanes on the GSP
- Utility upgrades
- Bridge construction work to be performed in three (3) stages following utility relocations
- Temporary traffic shifts will be utilized to facilitate the work
- Short duration temporary detours will be needed during utility relocation work
- Significant utility relocation work including drainage, water mains, gas mains and electrical facilities will be performed
- Utility relocation work to begin on or about November 2018
October 23, 2020
- A new traffic pattern has been implemented on Central Avenue and a new work zone created on the north side of the roadway over the Garden State Parkway, between Watson Avenue and Hawthorne Place. Two Central Avenue travel lanes will be maintained westbound and one travel lane will be maintained eastbound over the bridge. Eastbound and westbound left turns at Oraton Parkway and Whittlesey Avenue are temporarily prohibited during construction. Please refer to the graphic below for details.
- During the weeks of 10/26/20 through 11/09/20, bridge construction work will be performed at the intersections of Oraton Parkway and Central Avenue. Work will be supported by East Orange Police.